According to Dr. Mark Hyman, these are the ten food lies we hear most frequently.
1. All calories are equal.
Does 1000 calories of broccoli equal 1000 calories of soda? Of course not, remember junk food in = “junk food metabolism”.
Many of us have created a “junk food metabolism” in our “grab it and go” society. To upgrade your intake of good foods and lose weight you must upgrade the quality of calories you put into your body.
- Good quality proteins: fish, chicken, eggs, nuts, beans, seeds
- Good quality carbohydrates: fruits and vegetables
- Good quality fats: avocados, extra virgin olive oil, almonds
2. Don’t lose weight too fast, you’ll gain it all back.
In reality, if you lose weight fast you will
- Have more energy
- Feel good
- Get more motivated
- Feel inspired
If you want to lose weight and keep it off get on a program that will help you get a jump-start and lose weight faster. Learn about taking off weight in 21 days on my TLS weight loss site (Transitions Life Style)
3. All you need is willpower to lose weight.
High sugar, low quality processed foods change our metabolism, brain chemistry, and our body to the extent we are unable to control our behavior. We have to understand how to take back control of our metabolism with real food and use the science of these foods to fix the weight loss problem.
4. You cannot end your cravings for carbs and sugar.
Your body craves sugar because sugar is addictive like tobacco, heroin or cocaine.
If you eat correctly, your cravings will go away.
- Eat protein with every meal
- Eat regularly; breakfast, lunch, and dinner with a snack in between
- TLS recommends you eat 8 cups of vegetables per day
- Drink at least eight 8 ounce glasses of water per day
I will speak to the issues of eating that amount of vegetables and drinking that amount of water in my next blog. Watch for it for a revelation.
5. Diet soda is better for you than regular soda.
The truth is Diet soda:
- Slows your metabolism
- Makes you crave more carbs and sugar
- Makes you store more belly fat
Diet soda = a new and improved liquid death. Stay away!
6. Foods labeled low-fat or whole grain are good for you.
This is what the government policy recommends but the truth is
- Low fat foods are loaded with sugar
- Sugar is what screws with your metabolism
- Sugar makes you fat
Whole grain cereals are mostly ¾ sugar. They sprinkle grains into the process and call it whole grain, but they do not say how much sugar is in the cereal. Companies are poisoning our kids with these sugars.
7. If you are overweight or have type 2 diabetes, it’s all about the genes.
It’s not about genetics, it’s about the processed foods we eat.
The social atmosphere is more to blame than genes. Eating out at fast food restaurants is more to blame.
Food portion sizes get bigger and bigger along with soda serving sizes. “Would you like to Super-Size that?” “That comes with a large drink and Large Fries”. If this sounds familiar, you follow my drift here. Also, you are probably at the wrong location for a healthy meal.
8. Eating fat makes you fat.
- The villain is not fat, it’s SUGAR
- Good fats are essential for weight loss
- Avocados, nuts, seeds, coconut butter, olive oil,
- Omega 3 fats: soybeans (roasted), walnuts, salmon, canola oil, sardines, chia seeds, mackerel, flaxseeds
9. Milk is nature’s perfect food, true if you are a calf
- 75% of the population have milk intolerance, lactose intolerance
- Milk intolerance can contribute to:
- Skin problems
- Digestive issues
- Low fat milk can contribute to weight gain
10. You have to starve yourself to lose weight.
If you starve yourself, you will lose weight at first because your body goes into a starvation mode. It will hold fat to keep you alive and then you will actually gain back more weight than you lost.
Read more about healthy foods and weight loss at on my weight loss site. www.tls.com/anewbeginning
I am a weight loss consultant. If you want more information contact me.
Tags: diet, sugar craves, food lies, good fats, carbohydrates,